Community Resources

Our Hidalgo County community has always supported each other during times of need, such as during this pandemic. Community organizations are providing nutritional support to those most in need. In addition to those listed below, places of worship and community pantries may have additional resources. Check with your local officials to find out more information.

Community Food Resources

New! State of Texas Pandemic Food Benefits

Because of school closures from COVID-19, Texas received approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide more than $1 billion in pandemic food benefits to families with children that have temporarily lost access to free or reduced-price school meals.

Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) provides eligible families with a one-time payment for each child who previously received free or reduced-price meals. P-EBT works the same way Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits do and will help families get the food they need during the current pandemic. P-EBT will be administered by the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, Texas Department of Agriculture and Texas Education Agency. To learn about eligibility and how to apply, visit the Pandemic-EBT webpage.

Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley

In the interest of the health and safety of our community, our Emergency Food Pantry at the Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley has now moved to a mobile distribution model. These distributions will take place on Tuesdays from 9 am – 11:00 am OR until we reach capacity. You MUST bring a valid I.D. and proof of address.

There will be a distribution on Thursdays for Senior Citizens aged 60 + only from 9:00am – 11:00am OR until we reach capacity. Family members may pick up for the Senior Citizen with the Senior’s ID and proof of address.

The emergency pantry at the Food Bank RGV is for use when there is no food in the home. All of our partner agencies remain open, please call us at 956-682-8101 for a referral to a pantry close to you. You may only use the pantry once within a 30 day period. 

For more information, visit

Amigos Del Valle, Inc.

Amigos del Valle, Inc. offers Meals on Wheels to senior citizens and provides curb-side meals at various Community Centers throughout Willacy, Hidalgo and Cameron Counites.
For more information, contact them at (956) 213-9400 or visit

College/University Food Assistance (for Currently Enrolled 2020 Spring and Summer Students)

South Texas College Student Food Pantry

The South Texas College Student Food Pantry supports students who are experiencing food insecurity by providing them with adequate nutritious food. The pantry also keeps the students engaged by connecting them with additional college services to support their retention and graduation. The South Texas College Food Pantries at the Mid Valley, Pecan and Starr County campuses are now accepting new applications. Only currently enrolled (Spring 2020 and Summer 2020) South Texas College students are eligible.

Other Community Resources

Hidalgo County Community Service Agency

General Assistance

The Hidalgo County Community Service Agency's (CSA) mission is to improve the quality of life and promote self-sufficiency of the low-income and vulnerable households of Hidalgo County by providing effective, efficient, and comprehensive services through partnerships and direct funding. 

Hidalgo County residents may also be considered for a specialized program designed to help break the cycle of poverty. Qualifying residents are provided with the resources they need to address the root causes of poverty. Assistance may be in the form of direct assistance to augment their own efforts or in the form of referrals to other agencies who can address their particular needs. We can help with transportation assistance, testing fees, uniforms, books and even tuition and fees. The results are life changing.

COVID-19 Disaster Assistance

Applicants requesting COVID-19 assistance MUST provide proof of COVID- related financial effect

  • Recent Unemployment Benefit letter
  • Letter from a healthcare provider
  • Letter from Employer
  • Letter from landlord or mortgage company